Jim Waving

Jim Waving

Saturday, April 20, 2019

Day 50 - Live Oak, FL to Gainesville, FL

80.8 miles today
2,663.9 total trip miles
13.8 mph average
1,729’ climbing
FF - 6
MP - Eric & Tim - two friends from West Bend who sometimes help me with projects around the house.  We enjoy Packer parties yearly & movie nights with pizza every month or so.  They are great fans of  professional wrestling & often show me You Tube videos of everything from airplanes taking off to TV commercials that are funny.  They always seem to be in a good mood & that helps my outlook on life.

I didn’t take many pictures today because Northern Florida looks a lot like Northern Texas with ranches, farms & acres of grazing land.  From the seat of a bicycle, the biggest difference is that Florida is much flatter.  We had our last long mileage day today & I was a little concerned early because my knee was hurting more than normal on the bike.  Usually biking isn’t a problem, but I still walk with a limp.  Then I had a Reuben sandwich for lunch & the knee got much better!  Can’t say for sure that is a cause & effect situation, but that’s what happened.

We are staying in a YMCA gym tonight & I thought you might be interested in what “my space” looks like when we have these accommodations.


I’m usually not one of the first to arrive & all the early people take the wall locations because it gives a little more privacy.  Not much though because there are about 60 people sleeping in the space between riders & staff.  I usually end up between the free throw line & half court.

One of the jokes of the group is what happens in a facility when 60 people come in to take showers within about a 2 hour time window.  It often means not enough hot water & waiting in line, especially for the men because we outnumber the women about 3 to 1.  When I was at the Naval Museum, I took this picture of the shower rules on a ship which I’ve showed around to other riders a little. Everyone says to not show it to Bubba or he will claim we have deluxe accommodations.


My family is starting to gather in St Augustine for my arrival on Monday.  I am looking forward to seeing everyone.

WDYLT - ILT  the storms that came through Florida 3 days ago continue to leave a trail of debris along the shoulders of most roads we are riding.  That must have been a big storm.


3 comments:

  1. Hello Jim, I have been cheering you on all along and have been enjoying following you on this amazing journey. I don't think my posts are getting to you, but I will try again. Wishing you continued strength as you bring this adventure to a close on Monday. We are all praying for you as you cross the finish line. An amazing task to be fully embraced! Wishing you all the best. Love and hugs, Cathy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Cathy - yes, this is the 1st post I’ve seen from you. Now that the adventure is complete we can get together in person. There are even more stories to tell.

    ReplyDelete

  3. Such a nice & useful post. Really happy to see such post. I have come to know about many new ideas. I will try my best to implement some of them. Thanks.
    gardening

    ReplyDelete