Jim Waving

Jim Waving

Wednesday, September 20, 2023

Virginia to Duluth

 Today was mostly a day of traveling from one trail to the next.  It was our longest day, and except for about 5 miles at the beginning, we were on roads all day.  Here is a picture of the group (except me because I took the picture) waiting at a stop light in Virginia to get out of town.

I believe I have mentioned before that I've been surprised that there has not been more fall colors showing since we are so far north.  That started to change today.

Just as we were leaving the trail, we crossed a bridge, and found this nice picture opportunity.

We are too far east for this to be the Mississippi, but I didn't see a sign so I can't identify it.  Still a nice picture.

Once we got on the roads, I found nothing much picture worthy except for a few adventures.

A flat tire, but not on my bike.  This is only the second flat in the whole group since we started.  The first was mine, but it happened overnight and we were able to fix it before we left in the morning.  This one we had to fix while we were on the road.  We have some good bike mechanics, so it didn't take long.

This was our next adventure.  It is hard to plan for road construction.  Fortunately, we were able to walk around it with only about a 1/4 mile hike.

Beyond that, it was just a long day with a head wind.  The roads were good with mostly wide shoulders, some hills, but no steep grades until we got to Duluth.  Here is a picture of me with the Duluth bridge in the background.

As we entered Duluth, there was about a 5 mile drop to Lake Superior.  I was braking most of the way.  My main thought as I was going downhill was - "I hope there is a different way out of town tomorrow, because otherwise I'm going to have to climb this hill".  I will let you know.

Once we reached town, we weaved our way through a residential neighborhood before getting to our hotel near the lake.  This house caught my eye, especially because of the fancy moulding at the top of the pillar.

That's all for today.  Everyone agrees that we will sleep well tonight.

71 miles today.

No comments:

Post a Comment