Jim Waving

Jim Waving

Friday, April 12, 2019

Day 42 - Ocean Springs, MS to Dauphin Island, AL

77.8 miles today
2,258.7 total trip miles
13.4 mph average
1,295’ climbing
FF - 5
MP - Cathy Mahaffey - a good friend & a true health insurance professional.  When a group of community organizers came to her with the idea for a health insurance cooperative, she shifted her career attention from being an agent to helping us create the Common Ground Healthcare Cooperative.  Creative, persistent & a true leader - I believe she is the best Health Insurance CEO anywhere.

We biked to the Gulf of Mexico today & it almost seemed like I could feel salt water in the air all day long.  We crossed a bunch of rivers & as we approached the Gulf the road leveled out.  We could see for miles down the road on a pancake flat surface.  That is something we have not experienced much on this trip so far.



Then we took a right turn & saw this in the distance.



That bridge leads to Dauphin Island where we are camping tonight.  The bridge hill to climb is a little imposing, but we have done longer & steeper.  The thing you need to know is that I am the person who won’t get in a hot air balloon because I am positive that I will fall out, even if the basket reaches up to my neck & I am connected in with multiple straps.  You can imagine what I was thinking when I got here.



Nothing but water on both sides & about a 4’ tall concrete wall to hold me in.  What to do?  I didn’t come this far to let some irrational fear stop me.  I pedaled to the top.  Unfortunately I had to do it with my eyes open.  And here I am at the Dauphin Island Campground to be able to tell the story. Tomorrow is a day off & I am happy to report that when we leave the island it will be on a ferry going east to the mainland so I don't have to climb this bridge again.

WDYLT - ILT in Germany when they serve raw beef & onions, it also includes a raw egg on top.  I’ve never had this feast, but adding the raw egg doesn’t make it any more appetizing to me.


6 comments:

  1. Scary ride. Bernie had an issue with bridges. If you're interested I can share a story I personally experience going over the Duluth Bridge WITH Bernie.... When your are back...funny as all hell. If you like seafood you are in the right spot. Wishing you smooth sailing here on out rolling down into Florida.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hate bridges like this in a car. I can relate.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, but the bridge had to be done! Hey, I see on your Cruzbike website blog that the trip you & Jim are on right now seems quite close to our journey across Florida for the next week. I would love to meet you if our paths & timing are similar.

      Delete
  3. Glad to see you're healthy and riding again too,

    ReplyDelete
  4. You did it! So many surprises and so many accomplishments! Rock on! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Catching up on my blog reading - I must get my fear of heights and bridges from you! I don't know if I would've made it! Way to go Dad!

    ReplyDelete