Jim Waving

Jim Waving

Friday, March 8, 2019

Day 7 - Gila Bend, AZ to Casa Grande, AZ

89.8 miles today
420.8 total trip miles
15.1 mph avg
1131’ climbing
FF - 5
MP - John Lehnerz & family -  John & I are brothers from different mothers.  We’ve worked together at St Frances Cabrini Parish on a wide variety of youth ministry & other parish activities.  I can always count on John to keep my focus on serving God in all that I do.

Today was a strange day on this C2C ride.  We expected sunshine & mid 60’s weather.  We got overcast, with a 20 mph wind from the Southwest.  You would thing with this trip going west to east, a southwest wind should make pedaling easier.  Unfortunately about 20 miles of our route today was going south!  That was a tough slog into the headwind.  When we turned back heading east it seemed like the wind died down, until I stopped to take a picture & felt it as strong as ever.  Just seems to die down when it’s pushing me along I guess.  Overall I ended up with my fastest avg mph of the trip on the day with the most miles so far, and I’m really not that tired.

Interesting things today:

We really entered the cactus region of Arizona





There is more than one kind of cactus plant




There can be beautiful cloud formations before sunset & if you look carefully you can see a hawk in the blue sky


WDYLT - ILT My recumbent bike has a real advantage when there is a tail wind.  I was passing people today that I never have on the trip so far.










2 comments:

  1. Hi Jim! Just started following but read your blogs so far and am all caught up...Happy belated Birthday! What an amazing way to spend it, doing something completely unusual, slightly crazy and really brave! I'm so excited to follow you to the "finish line", keep on keeping on!! Wendy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Brother Jim, I am so honored that you chose me and my family to be your motivational partner today. As we have now entered the season of lent, it is clear that you have taken the idea of going out into the desert pretty seriously!!! May your meditations be as grand as the view! Thank you once again, for sharing your adventure with us on this blog. God speed to you my dear friend.

    ReplyDelete