Jim Waving

Jim Waving

Sunday, March 17, 2019

Day 16 - Columbus, NM to El Paso, TX

77.1 miles today
832.5 total trip miles
13.4 mph average
757’ climbing
FF - 5
MP - my 3rd oldest daughter Julie & her husband Angel.  Growing up, Julie was nicknamed the “gamer girl” in our home because she enjoyed & was good at just about any game we could think of. As an adult, she is the perfect example of someone who found what she is passionate about in life & has made a great success of it.  In her case it is archaeology & she is now a professor at NC State University.

It started out cold again this morning (35 degrees), so I put my 4 layers on & headed out.  By the time I arrived in El Paso, TX it was almost 70 degrees & it was sunny all day.  I lathered up with suntan lotion & made it through no problem.  This was very much an average cycling day without too much climbing & a headwind, but nothing like last Friday.  For some reason I was ready earlier than normal this morning, so I ended up riding with a different group of folks today.  It seems like the same people always leave early & I am usually in the later group.  Nice to get to know some other riders on the road.

The scenery really didn’t change all day.  Here is what I saw for 90% of the day


Except for this Christmas garland on some scrub brush along the road.




That mountain just kept getting closer all day.  El Paso is in a valley at the foot of the mountain.  The Rio Grande River is sure not much to see right now.  Looks like a muddy gully.  Didn’t get a picture because the road there was busy & I didn’t want to stop.  You aren’t missing much.  Texas is our 4th State & we will spend 40% of our total trip here.

Here is a picture of me on the bike taken by a friend in a vehicle coming up from behind me


Definitely a nice day to be on the bike.

WDYLT - ILT one of the early methods of controlling turns on an airplane involved attaching cables to the pilot’s arms above the elbow.  Moving their arms forward & backward moved the rudders on the wings causing the turn.


2 comments:

  1. I'm glad it ended up being a bright sunny day when I was your MP! Sometimes it feels like you aren't moving anywhere because the scenery doesn't change much, but you are now 77 miles closer to your goal! I've always liked the number 7 :) Don't forget to find a picture of something weird for me on a day when you have more weird things to find!

    ReplyDelete
  2. When we moved from FL to CO I drove that route and agree it's the longest, "samest" stretch ever.
    Now I've learned how planes were steered!

    ReplyDelete