Jim Waving

Jim Waving

Monday, March 11, 2019

Day 10 - Catalina State Park to East Tucson, AZ

There is no day 9 post because it was a day off riding & I decided to take a day off posting too.  I had a great day because my daughter Laurie’s in-laws live in the area.  I got to stay with them & sleep on a regular bed instead of on an air mattress in a tent.  Adding to that were the presence of my wife Joanne & daughter Julie.  Today they start road tripping back to Raleigh, NC where Julie is teaching at NC State.  On Sunday we all went to the Desert Museum near Tucson.  I highly recommend it if you are in the area.



Here are today’s Statistics:

46.9 miles today
525.5 total trip miles
11.0 mph average
1463’ climbing
FF - 6
MP - my parents - Walter (RIP) & Audrey Wesp - they brought me into this world, trained, disciplined & nurtured me to be the man that I am.  I cannot thank them enough.

Today was a surprise.  It looked like an easy day on paper - 44 miles, mostly on bike trails around Tucson.  It started out great, there was a threat of rain, but was just overcast early & the sun came out late AM.  Joanne, Julie, and John & Carol Walsh came out to the trail in the late morning & saw me riding.  We stopped and had lunch together about 11 AM.  I had less than 20 miles to go after lunch & thought I would arrive before 2 PM.

But things kind of fell apart.  It is nice riding on a bike trail because there is no car traffic & crossing roads is eliminated because the trail goes under the road.  Tucson has a great set of trails all over town.  That is the good part.  The bad part is that when you are trying to get to a specific destination, the trails can be confusing.  Bubba marked the route we were supposed to take, but I haven’t met another rider who didn’t make at least one wrong turn.  I made 3.  It added a couple miles & about 1/2 hour to the ride, but increased the frustration level more than that.

Then there was the wind - at least 20 - 30 mph & mostly in the face.  All of that added up to more effort than expected.  In the last mile of the day there was road construction that reduced the road to 1 lane with no shoulder.  Bubba arranged that as a group of about 10 riders got to that point, he followed the group with his truck, trailer & emergency flashers going.  That was great & made it safe.

I did see some interesting things along the way - a blooming cactus



Here is a picture of the large gully that runs through Tucson.  Apparently at certain times it fill completely into a raging river.  Always mountains in the background.



And here is a picture of what our tent city looks like.



Ready for a good night’s rest & a longer day tomorrow.

WDYLT - ILT Milwaukee was awarded the 2020 Democratic Convention.

6 comments:

  1. Hey Jim awesome pictures looks like a great way to spend your time safe travels enjoy every minute.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sxkjvKBPQjo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Another opportunity to deal with surprise. Thanks for sharing about it. I’m curious as to what you drew on mentally to stay with it despite the frustration...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Having my parents as MP for the day was a great source of inspiration. They have always put forth a calm, consistent effort through adversity & I just copied their example.

      Delete
  3. Sounds like a challenging afternoon. Way to stick with it, Dad. You are (and always have been) setting a great example for all of us!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Jim
    Thought I would in. Very interesting and seems like quite the jouney , wow ! Stay safe and good luck ahead. Kyle

    ReplyDelete